Library and Information Skills module
What is EndNote?
EndNote allows you to create and maintain a personal database of the references that you retrieve from searches of library catalogues, databases and the Internet. EndNote also works with Word to insert references in your text and create bibliographies automatically from the references stored in your personal database. All you need to do is enter the data, either manually or by importing from library catalogues and databases.
EndNote is available in the following versions:
- An online version which is free for students and staff
- A paid-for desktop version with more features (currently £82 for students).
- There is also an iPad app with limited functionality (currently £2.50 via iTunes)
Once you have left Birkbeck your account for the online version will change to a Basic account, available to anyone. Your references will not be lost.
1. EndNote Online
This is a free (for students and staff) web version of EndNote.
Creating an account
- Sign up by logging in to the Web Of Science database with your Birkbeck login. Once logged in, click on Sign in and then Register and fill out the registration form.
- You will need to re-register in this way once a year.
- access EndNote Online here
by using the email address and password you’ve chosen for your Web of Science account and NOT the institutional sign in.
Download "Cite While You Write"
- Once you've created an account, d needed for EndNote to work with Word and other word processing software
- You can also do this by looking for the "Download Installers" link when in the EndNote website
Help and training for EndNote Online
- Quick Reference Card
2. EndNote (full desktop version)
You can purchase the full EndNote program from the suppliers below at a student discount. It is available for PC and Mac.
Try before you buy - download a 30 day trial version at www.endnote.com/downloads/30-day-trial
Help and training for the full desktop version
- Quick Reference Guides - PC and Mac
- EndNote Training YouTube Channel or download the training videos
- Full Endnote user manual
- More training and support
Buying the full version of EndNote
- Buy from the UK suppliers http://www.bilaney-consultants.co.uk/our-products/endnote.html
- The student price at present is £82.80 for online purchase. You will need to send a scan or photo of your student ID card and Birkbeck profile showing that you are currently enrolled.
Connection files for use with EndNote (full version only)
You can download references from Birkbeck College library catalogue by using the connection file listed below. If you are using EndNote on your own PC download and save it to the EndNote connections file folder.